World of Darkness: New York City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Under pressure (Flashback)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Under pressure (Flashback) Empty Under pressure (Flashback)

Post  Malakiel Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:52 pm

Grandma Sobo was very worried as they went down to see Papa Long. She was silent looking out the window of the limousine, eventually doing a comment, advising Kaida to take care tonight, don't rush, be patient, wait for your opportunity... between long lapses of silence.

It was unusual to see Sobo worried at all, Papa Long had done very rigorous trainings to her and she didn't even flinched about it... how bad could this be.

A while after they finally arrived to Papa Long's house, or at least to the path leading to it. Sobo continued by car while Kaida had to run through the steps and sometimes climb to rise to the top of the Shinigami Mountains south of Hokkaido where the Buddhist temple was.

Under pressure (Flashback) Stone-stair-to-ancient-buddhist-temple-picture-id519078637

Kaida's record so far was 8 hours, her first time took a couple of days... one day lost in the woods without food or water, trying to walk around a part where the stairs are broken and you can go around or climb, the other day trying to find her way back to that point and climb up to the top.

Kaida was unconsciously placing her right hand over the ribs she broke that day, her mouth dried remembering how hard can Papa Long training be... or that day when he placed boggy traps over the stairs to make them unusable, forcing her to cross country to the top without using the stairs at all... just to find out there were also traps in the woods... Kaida's heel soared just to remember she had to walk to the top with one leg broken for two hours...

Or that day when one of Papa Long's advance students poisoned her water while she was in the mountain making her see hallucinations the rest of her way up... and not even that day Sobo was worried at all...

That day, they got there earlier than usual... about 10 am. Sobo didn't opened the limo door right away, she had to gather strength just to say good bye to her granddaughter kissing her like it was the last time they'd be seeing each other.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

https://newyorkbynight.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Under pressure (Flashback) Empty Re: Under pressure (Flashback)

Post  Guest Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:49 pm

Kaida looks at her grandmother for a moment, concerned then leaves quietly. She looks up the mountain and makes sure the stairs she can see are in tact and obstacle free. Sighing deeply, she figures there is no point in delaying and starts the walk just to the side of the stairs having had a lot of trouble with them in the past. She jogs easily enough up the slope until it starts to get steep and rocky. She moves slower but still at a steady pace, having almost mapped out the quickest rout by now. If she doesn't wander from the stairs and she should be okay.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:37 am

OOC:

Kaida had climbed this mountain a hundred times by now and the route is always changing, the stairs for a magical reason always lead to another place. When she finishes the first stage of them a foggy valley is revealed with a series of old japanese houses (Minka), filling the landscape.

Under pressure (Flashback) Morning-fog-drifts-through-low-hills-seen-from-takataniyama-camp-ground-near-miyoshi-japan-MK9J3X

By the time Kaida reaches the small town was night time, the small torches used as light poles are being lighted by guys dressed as Jisamurai, low rank samurai wearing two swords (katana and wakisashi). The streets were starting to get empty and only the Inn (Oji) was still active.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:24 pm

She makes her way up the street and towards the small inn. She knows she is in this place for a reason but has to discover that reason. Her legs and feet were sore from the walk which was, thankfully, uneventful for once. She just wanted to wash them and go to bed without doing her meditations. But she knew better. Papa Haruto was likely watching.

Last edited by Kaida on Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:49 pm

Kaida started to walk down one of the small town street normally when one of the Jisamurai spotted her and touching the grip of his Katana said in very old fashion japanese.
"Who's there?" his tone was commanding.

As he change position to get his back against the closest wall and have better light to scan Kaida he surprised to see her outfit, nothing extraordinary about it, just a pair of jeans with a cotton t shirt and a nylon backpack with the first aid essentials.

Still the samurai used his thumb to lift the hand guard of his sword and said.
"Stop there BAKEMONO! WHO ARE YOU? WHAT IS YOUR BUSINESS HERE?!
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:42 pm

She enjoys the night air and the quaint little town. The cute old fashioned buildings looked like they haven't changed in hundreds of years. She kicks a small stone down the street as she walks towards the inn as she hums to herself, pleased at the simple trip so far but worrying on the simplicity and sobos reaction.

Surprised by the hostility, she stops walking and looks at the man. How could a small girl cause so much excitement? Monster? She notes his style of dress from her studies and is less surprised than she though she should be as she realizes what might have happened.

She bows to the man in polite greeting, trying to be proper. "Hello. I am only a young traveler looking for a bed for the night. I have traveled far this day. Why do you call me such hurtful things?"
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:15 pm

She bows to the man in polite greeting, trying to be proper. "Hello. I am only a young traveler looking for a bed for the night. I have traveled far this day. Why do you call me such hurtful things?"

The Jisamurai seemed angry due to Kaida's answers (or lack of them...) he yells
"I won't fall in your spell Bakemono! My spirit is tempered in the forge of souls!"

Then he draws his Katana in a kendo basic position and assumes fighting stance.
"KITSUNE NO BAKEMONO! DETEIKE!!" (Get out Monstrous Fox!)
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am

Her eyes widen. He is either insane or can see something most can't. She takes a step back, a bit uncertain. He is bigger than her so can likely run faster making running away pointless. The streets are pretty much empty of people so her options are fight the man, call the other men for help, hoping they wouldn't see what this man sees, or use a discipline that has the potential to attract others.

She turns just to make sure he wasn't talking to someone behind her. Seeing nobody, she turns back to the man, just a little irritated he would attack unprovoked. She disliked making people do things but sometimes there was no other choice. She begins moving away from the man in a last attempt to not do anything to him. She is sure to keep facing him as she moves backwards away from him. She didn't even have her katana with her.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:53 pm

As Kaida starts to walk back slowly the man walks towards at the same pace, suddenly making a jump scare on her trying to incite her to runaway.

His combat stance represented years of training and his eyes showed a mighty spirit ready to give his life to protect this village.

Under pressure (Flashback) 500_F_62842117_exlHlseduvv19YQtj4kZr5eEpNA3Zhm4

Kaida manages to run back to the forest outside of the village being chased for a few yards by the bushi yelling and shouting prayers to the Kami to neglect and expel the filthy Bakemono from his town.

Alone in the middle of the night, confused and scared Kaida looks at the town guard converging on the Jisamurai to ask him what had happened. He makes signs pointing at Kaida generals direction but they don't go after her. Half of them leave, while the other half spreads to reinforce that border of the town.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:42 pm

Kaida looks around in the dimming light and frowns. Now what? Sleep outside? She sits where she is and stares at the little town to think. The stairs brought her here for something. She is obviously in the past because anywhere would have electricity if it was modern times. The bushi saw something most don't see. That was a skill that would take him far or get him killed. She absently digs into her bag and pulls out a sandwich and a thermos of tea that has long since cooled as she continues to think.

She eats half the sandwich and drinks some of the tea before putting them back in the bag and stands, brushing the underbrush from her jeans and slings the bag back over her shoulder. She would need proper clothing for the time she is in. There were a few smaller homes on the outskirts of the town and there may be clothing she could borrow. So far the whole thing looked like one of the old paintings in sobos house. The girls always had teeny tiny feet so she wouldn't fit the shoes, but a simple peasants dress would work until she could figure out what she is supposed to do.

Kaida makes her way around the village to the far side, watching the backs of the little homes as she goes, looking for something she could wear hanging on a line. She wasn't raised to steal, but she was desperate and intended to pay for the clothing later.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:41 am

After taking a deep breath and having a nice meal Kaida picks up her stuff and stealthy walks around the city looking for residential houses with laundry hanging over night. Sadly people dry their clothes with the sun light and safe it by night to avoid stealing so even if there were many small houses that could do, it was not as easy as walking grabbing and running away.

There were also many roads around the city, leading in different directions, along those roads Kaida could see distant houses or more like large cabins. Also from a particular perspective Kaida as able to see through the Myst and Darkness a Castle hidden at the other side of the Town with a large rocky road leading to it.

Under pressure (Flashback) 922b7f5fe4f447424b7647a51be8320b
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:25 am

She pauses and thinks for a moment before moving again so she can think while moving. Her family was prominent in history, maybe this was them? It couldn't be that close could it? Of course the magic of the stairs was unpredictable, and technically they COULD drop her miles from anywhere. Even if it is family, there is no rule saying family had to be nice.

She walks at a steady pace along the road, keeping an ear and an eye on anything or anyone that might happen to be on the road. If the stories were true, there could be bandits and wild animals hidden all along the road. Being dressed the way she was might keep the bandits away, but animals don't care what their food looks like.

She watches the roof of the castle loom closer between the treetops as she walks. If it was family, would Haru be there (finally got a proper name for papa long) or some of his students? Maybe he has a family this far back in history. She smiles at the thought of papa Haru having children and grand children. She starts at a small sound in the shadows beside the road and freezes as her eyes dance over the shadows within the shadows. Letting out a long breath she hadn't known she was holding, she giggles to herself. Just a squirrel. She moves a bit more quickly now, determined to get to something she could understand a little better.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:16 pm

Kaida starts wandering roads around the Town, looking for someone that could come handy to change her outfit. The hours went away and when she thought that she had lost her time a group of travelers, like a caravan with several banners and horses along with an small group of soldiers guarding a lifted carriage.

Under pressure (Flashback) Shoson_Ohara-No_Series-Two_palanquin_bearers_with_a_man_lighting_their_way_along_the_riverbank-00039239-060503-F06

She had no many options, although there were just a bunch of soldiers half of them had sharp Yari (spears) and the other just the classical Japanese katana and wakisashi. If one samurai had been enough before, eight were just overkill.

The only idea she could think of in the moment was to get bud naked and ask for help to the crew, claiming to be a lost princess or something and hope for the best.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:32 pm

Kaida grumbles to herself and steps into the shadows as her mind spun with thoughts. Her best chance was to make like the lost and scared child, which wasn't far off. She drops her bag and strips her tee shirt over her head and shoves it into her bag before pulling her jeans and shoes off and rolling them into the bag and tossing it into a tree. She looks around then messes up her hip length hair and rubs some soil onto her face and arm to look like she had been pushed into the dirt. As a final idea, she braced herself and scraped her hip and shoulder on the rough bark of a tree to make it look like there was a struggle. She did it a second time to force the tears. Her pale city skin and weapon rough hands would help with this illusion. Messing her hair a final moment, she takes a breath and half stumbles onto the road and calls out pathetically like she has seen other girls do on the school yard. She is sure to make her voice soft like she had been calling for a time and had lost hope.

"Help? Please help me kind travelers. I have been robbed and can't find my way in the dark." She covers herself modestly and her cheeks flush as she falls painfully to her knees on a sharp bit of rock. She uses that pain to force the tears further.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:09 pm

Two soldiers saw the naked girl on the side of the road and the captain (Doshin) got down from his horse that was leading the caravan to give his cape (Haori) to cover her shame. It was warm and smelled very manly, something that along with the knight-ish attitude didn't go overlooked by the teenager damsel in distress.

He said also in japanese with a serious tone of voice.
"What happen young lady?" Kaida noticed the difference between his arcane use of the japanese that the man barely understood her modern intonation and dialect but still he was sincerely worried.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:26 pm

Trying to match the old dialect so he can understand her better, she hugs the cloak to herself. She would miss her favorite jeans but might be able to get the bag back some time. When she speaks, it is slow as she tries to match the dialect the best she can. "I was dancing in my mothers garden. There was a woman with a dancing fan with five royal dragons on it. It was stitched with golden thread and painted with liquid metal that sparkled in the sun. Its edges were sharper than my uncles katana. Mother will be so angry that I am not home for my studies." She inhales sharply as she stands up, struggling briefly due to her now tender knee and the weight of the cloak. His scent didn't escape her notice and she flushed further. His spicy musk was not the cover up creams and colognes she was used to, but natural and wild. "I watched the fan shine in the sun. It looked like the dragons were dancing and then there was nothing. Did I fall asleep? I woke and my kimono was gone and my arm hurts. I'm cold and I don't know where I am." She leans subtly into him, feeling protected but also awkward. He was far older than her but she couldn't help herself.

She smiles shyly at the Doshin. "I must look like a foolish village girl who took a walk alone at night. I am grateful it is you who found me." She takes a moment to brush her tangled hair from her eyes. If she was going to pass as someone from this time, she better learn the dialect quickly. Currently, she might be able to pass off her strange language as having just returned from a long trip away from Japan.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:16 am

The Samurai looked dazzled and confused.
"I am Doshin Momoshi Tatsuke, What is your name Young Lady?"

The rest of the crew was alert of the surroundings, cautious about a possible ambush.

From the palanquin a man head with a tall golden hat appeared to call out of the samurai. They whispered some words obviously referring to the girl. Then the guard came close to the Doshin and whispered something unheard at his ear, the captain nods as his only response.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:41 am

She bows in greeting but without properly putting her hands on her thighs for clear reasons "I am Tatsudoshi Hōseki" (Hōseki is her middle name meaning Jewel). She watches the men with interest and remains silent as they communicate but takes note of any changes in their expressions. She looks around worried, knowing there could really be bandits out here. Sure she probably shouldn't have used her real last name, but its a prominent name as far as she knew and someone would know of the family even if the family didn't know of her. She definitely takes note of the man with the golden hat. Clearly he was important. She bows in his direction for a moment, not caring if he saw her or not, but was aware proper respect should be given regardless.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:31 pm

"Tatsudoshi ..." he murmured and the other Samurai even at far turned and looked at the girl with renovated interest, as he hurried to tell the new info to the palanquin dignitary.

The Doshin bowed back in response keeping his head down...

The Palanquin suddenly opened and the man inside came out with his golden hat and yellow attire symbol of the Emperor's authority. He had high wooden slippers that made him float over the dirty and muddy floor...

Spoiler:

... He seemed almost feminine, his steps showed his own security and steadiness as he got close, reaching for Kaida's chin with his gold fan with five golden suns, gently inviting her to lift her face.

In awe, he said.
"Tatsudoshi Kaida san, what is the meaning of this? How could this happened, please forgive the insolence of this Doshin! At once, take her to my carriage!"

The crew snapped and the Doshin himself offer to carry her on board.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:52 am

Everything happened at once. The looks form the other soldiers, the Doshin bowing to her, and the man in the funny hat coming to her. When the man touched her chin and applied the gentle pressure, she lifts her face to look at him. Shock shows clearly on her face when he uses her given name. She closes her eyes to try to focus her thoughts and smooth her face as the man ordered her taken to the carriage. She stands for a moment, frozen like a deer in the headlights as the Doshin offers to carry her. She only nods, unable to move of her own will. Once in his arms, Kaida holds the cloak to herself with one hand and wraps the other around his shoulder. Momoshi Tatsuke smelled nice and with all the excitement, she became a little light headed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:01 am

Under pressure (Flashback) Ab32812a8f6b5ade038f383b33678e0b

Once inside of the Palanquin she noticed it had two sits one used by her the other occupied by the Imperial Emissary. It was very padded and had several couches and two metal boxes hanging from it's ceiling where the remaining odors of the incenses perfumed the small cabin.

The man said.
"Toyotomi Kaizen Emissary of the Son of Heaven and Guardian of Earth his Excellence the Emperor Namakaido, at your service Tatsudoshi Kaida Hōseki Denka.

It is most unfortunate to have met in these precarious circumstances but I thank the Kami for giving me the chance to assist you. The mighty Iyazami gave light to my eyes in her infinite mercy to recognize you from an old painting of your family Tatsudoshi Denka, that hangs in one of the Palace hallway.

I must respectfully add that you're even more graceful in person, even underneath this preposterous attire that the Oni have curse you at this evil night."
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:02 pm

His tytle did sound quite impressive, even if most of it was someone elses tytle. Kaida smiles slightly at the words, covering her wonder at the oil painting with her in it. Did she look like an ancestor or is it really her in an ancient painting. Oni cursed her with preposterous attire? She looks down at her cape clad form briefly then giggles and bows from her seated position for the compliment about being graceful. Knowing to keep her words carefully chosen because there were people right outside the curtains of the carriage, she begins to speak, again trying to match the dialect.

"You know of me then. Good. Where are we going? To visit His Excellence?"

Her heart skips a beat at the idea of meeting nobility, no matter what time she is in. Nobility started because people thought them as Gods or chosen by Gods. There is a reason this Emperor is who he is.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:28 pm

"You know of me then. Good. Where are we going? To visit His Excellence?"
The man smiles and says.
"Oh no my Lady, we are here to visit your Father, we bring important news from the Capital to his consideration and obedience. Seems that fate have protected you from the many perils of the road and throw you in the safe arms of the Emperor.

At this pace we will be in the Tatsudochi Castle in a manner of minutes."
he concluded.

The Palanquin moved rapidly and steadily down to the castle that Kaida had seen before. After the proper protocol was followed where the Emissary showed his handfan that accredited him as an Emperor Agent the castle gates were open and then down through the inner yard to the castle doors.

The Doshin hurried to inform of the presence of Kaida in the castle, causing all sorts of confusion and haste among the servants that eventually came back with a huge silk sheet to take her in secret from the vehicle to her room apparently. Once the servants helped her out of the Palanquin another lifted litter was waiting for her over which she ended totally covered by the white silk sheet.

When the cover was removed of her face she was not alone. Another Kaida, just like her, identical to every single detail was standing in front of her escorted by two fully armored Samurai, she didn't seemed as Princess-like as she would have thought from an spoiled little daddy's girl, her eyes were like blades of cold steel.

The Another Kaida said.
"What kind of sorcery is this?"
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Kaida blinked in shock then smiled as she paused, looking at what she wears to how she stood to how she acted. She wanted to walk around the other girl but had a feeling the guards wouldn't allow it. She knew anyone with her family name, princess or not, would have skills. This original Kaida has likely been trained since before she could walk. She was probably a match for the guard in the town she started in. Again she curses her parents for holding her back for so long. She has only half the skill she should have by now. Of all the feelings she could have about being presented before an identical copy of herself, she felt only sadness. This girl was the better fighter than she was. She was noble in more ways than she was ever permitted for risk of being 'arrogant'. Again, she was in someones shadow.

"Incredible. You look just like me."

It's every little girls dream to be a princess and Kaida realized she is the descendant of nobility and her face brightens just a little. At least she knows who she looks like and who she is named for. Could this be the daughter of papa long?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:15 pm

The Girl takes a commanding step forward taking her jisamurai offguard and repeated herself.
"WHAT KIND OF SORCERY IS THIS?! WHY DID YOU STOLE MY FACE?!"

Her blazing eyes compelled Kaida to answer right away.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next