World of Darkness: New York City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback)

2 posters

Go down

Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback) Empty Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback)

Post  Malakiel Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm

This was last year at highschool. The graduation had just occurred and Cyrill had many plans for the future, going to college and fulfilling his dreams but in the mean time he needed a job for the holidays: his parents were very clear about it, after college that's it no more money, if he'd want something he'd need to work for it, safe for the home cooked meals and a roof over his head at night, he was now alone.

Of course he went first to Edmund's bookshop, would be great to have a few month of spending time there, where most of his money was going anyway. At this particular time Cyrill had no girlfriend, his friends would prefer to have a good toptable game than go out to drink or party, so his modus vivendi was cheap to say the least. So, except for stuff for his games he had just books and coffee in his budget plans.

That day, the very next day after graduation party, he went straight to the bookshop. It was a sunny morning of Saturday, blue sky without a cloud. The kind of day that wasn't too hot or too cold. Perfect to have a nice walk by the streets of New York City.

The bell at the door dings announcing Paxton's presence as he walks down to Edmond's office. The old man had changed a lot with time. Now he welcomed Cyrill as part of the family, having him help even after closing hours in exchange for a discount or a free by.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

https://newyorkbynight.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback) Empty Re: Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback)

Post  Galon Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:47 pm

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”

Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback) Buzz13

Cyril now a young man replied as he knocked on Edmonds office door and looked in.  He looked to Edmond with a grin, the old man was clever and had always got the quote right- anytime Cyril had challenged him.  Cyril was determined to get him one day and stump him- if that day ever came.  The day was nice and the stroll was welcomed, but the destination was the most important thing.  It had become like a second home to him.  Though he was far from the smartest, Mortimer and Edmond were far more knowledgeable than he ever would be, at least that is how Cyril felt as a young man.    

Cyril was what some might call a nerd, though his frame was healthier than the typical nerd.  Book had taught him to take care of himself, that is if he wanted to remain among the realm of the living.  A good diet and sensible exercise were key- of course reading and books were the most important aspect of his life.  Yes, Cyril was a finely built young man, he was not a twig nor so light a strong breeze would blow him away.  He was fit, he was toned but he was not a Spartan athlete.  He took care of himself- however if the brain was a muscle capable of lifting.  Cyril would be among the fittest of the strongmen.  

He also had friends, but he did not care to be around them all the time.  Only when it suited him, he did not need attention often but he would from time to time hang out with them.  

“Go on….  Guess…..”

Cyril grinned with a boyish charm and challenged Edmond confidently.
Galon
Galon
Neonate
Neonate

Back to top Go down

Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback) Empty Re: Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback)

Post  Malakiel Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:44 pm

The old Edmond looked at Cyrill from his sit letting his glass to drift to the point of his nose checking on the young me over the flat top border of the half frame couple of magnifying glasses he had of an excuse to read.

The Old Librarian spend many years as keeper of some of the most prestigious libraries in Europe, he was a book restorer and a very good one with twelve titles from three different universities on the wall of his office: from Antiquary to Archaeologist, Philosopher and Antropologist to mention just a few of his bachelors degrees along with four honoris causa PhD he was the closets to a living legend for Cyrill.

At some point he decided to retire from the academic world, he was of course a professor back in England with fifthy years of experience both theoretical and practical; and came here to America to make knowledge accessible: he had restored thousands of book conforming the the most impressive collection he had ever seen. Now in the last days of his life he didn't want those book to end is some basement to never been read again, or a collector's bookshelf somewhere, he wanted his life's work to be useful, as possible.

Mortimer on the other hand was usually called 'my most illustrious student', they had about forty years of partnership. Both have had the adventures of their life together and now share their old days as well.

They both are from a time where there were no photographs so the few photos they could have harness over the years was in an old photo album in Edmond's office. One time Cyrill stumble with it, so to speak, and they showed him some of the history there. From ancient expeditions to the Amazonas to exploration of egyptian tombs, they were like Indiana Jones and his sidekick, practically super-heroes.

Edmond has always been the brain of the operation and Mortimer the muscle. In those old pictures Mort was always shown with a rifle and he seemed quite muscular and fit athlete. Still he managed to have many titles along with his early years in the military at the service of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth. After the days of adventure he started to help the old Edmond with his work at restoring books, so they now speak about it as their collection.

Most of their collection was already gone, selling book for over ten years to different parties but always one or two books at a time, except for the New Age crap they sold to pay the bills.

Edmond finally said.
"Good morning bachelor. How are you today?"
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Galon Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:40 pm

“I’m doing well, Old Bean. Are you O.K, sir?”

Cyril used an endearing term for Edmund and looked around as he slowly closed the door behind him.

Something seemed off, Edmond looked tired. Either that or either Cyril had let on how much the old man in the bookstore meant to him.

Cyril studied the old man's face and could not hide a slight expression of concern. Cyril began to wonder more about the Blue Curtain and why he had never asked about it. Cyril wanted to know but had not asked due to his own fear of what would be said.

There was a more pressing question however he had to ask…

It was about employment.

Cyril looked around the room and did not sit down. He was respectful of Edmund, this old man was his role model. Back in the day, he had been like Indiana Jones, one of Cyril’s favorite movie characters (when he did watch movies, the books were always better). Cyril always had a lot of questions for Edmund and Mortimer. They had forgotten more than Cyril had ever learned. Cyril found his mind wandering his youthful brain still not able to categorize and multi-task thinking various thoughts at the same time.

Cyril had tailored his look to even match that of Edmund and Mortimer. That was obvious and he saw them as more of a father figure than his own Dad. His own dad never had time for him and always talked about the boring stuff. His father lacked imagination and creativity.

Cyril studied Edmunds's face, he was a bit worried and Edmund was showing signs of age
Galon
Galon
Neonate
Neonate

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 pm

“I’m doing well, Old Bean. Are you O.K, sir?”

Edmond smiles to the best of his strengths and says.
"I'm doing as good as an eighty five years old man could do young one. Tell me what brings you here?"
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Galon Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Cyril moved towards the desk of Edmund and moved his hands in front of himself interlocking them.  He lowered his head and his eyes and replied,

“Eighty five…  If I reach that age and know half of what you do…  I will be able to rest well on my laurels.  Sir…..”

Cyril remembered the words of his father and mother and with the utmost sincerity replied,

“I need a job, Mr. Rottinwell.  I know you have Mortimer.  But maybe an extra hand?”

Cyril also let his eyes betray him and there was a lot more behind his previous statement.  He had been coming here for a long time, he had seen a lot and had many questions.  It was quite clear the young man was hungry for more and this was the only place he felt at home.  

“I will be attending college soon and a bachelor needs somewhere to work.  I…”

Cyril paused and looked away turning to look at the wall.  He observed the items and degrees upon the wall. He had seen only a few pictures of Edmund, but this man was a legend.  A quiet treasure chest that was overlooked due to his age and his humble nature.  A man who had nothing to prove.  

"I should not…"

Thought Cyril………………

Then he turned and looked directly at Mr. Rottinwell and replied in a strong voice.  A voice he had never used before in front of Edmund.

“And I have questions!  Questions, Sir!  I want to know!  The Blu.....”  

Cyril unclasped his hands and took a step back balling up his fist and thought to himself.

“I finally said it…  What have I done…”

Cyril looked back to Edumund and in a low tone stated,

“You know so much and I have many questions if you want the truth, Sir…  I do need a job…  But that is secondary….  I…”

Cyril bit his lower lip and hated to admit it,

“I want to be like you!  Like Mortimer!  I do not have much, but I think of both of you….  Highly…. “

Cyril teared up a but and replied softer,

“I do not really have much else.  These books and both of you have been more of a family than my own...…”

Cyril had broken his shell, one that was apparent ever since he has seen that blue velvet curtain.  Then he thought back of the furnace.... All he remembered was the cold and the lack of need for firewood...  That was all..
Galon
Galon
Neonate
Neonate

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 pm

The old man stood up and went around his table and went to hug Cyrill like he was his grandson. Paxton felt an strong hug, encouraging and warm. Then he said.
"Dry those tears Cyrill. Big men don't cry. Com' on."

After giving him his handkerchief he said.
"Of course you're welcome to work with us. This is a lot of work, don't expect us to be soft on you, specially if you're really serious about learning this business."

Looking straight into Cyrill's eyes and holding him by his both arms Edmond said.
"You should be proud of yourself Paxton. You're a great young man and you'll be even a greater man than me when you come at my age. Just keep working hard, with discipline and wisdom and you will."
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Galon Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Cyril felt something, something familiar.

Mr. Brick had made him question his actions and how he had responded in his young age, a thought long forgotten. With the aged yet strong arms of Edmund embracing him. Cyril felt the same way he had in the basement at a tender young age, yet knew not why.

Cyril did not respond with a hug back as it had been given. He took the handkerchief yet it did not move to his face. He simply let his hand with the handkerchief drop to his side and he looked back into Edmund’s eyes as he spoke.

“If only I believed that, Mr. Rottinwell.”

The tears dried along his cheeks, leaving only a trail of salt lingering on the corner of his mouth.

Cyril had been very soft-spoken in his years and his feelings… Something was changing in him. The books. The Fairytales. The reality had started to sink in, anger, questions, confusion, hope, all the emotions of a young man concerned about his future. He felt like a book with an appendix, yet no table of contents. Cyril understood these emotions. Yet could not control them so he took a breath.

“I assure you I will work harder than Hector during his battle with Achilles. I will march around the walls of this tomb of words more than did the Israelites at Jericho.”

Cyril looked now at Edmund with hard eyes.

“Teach me, show me. I am but a quill with no ink.”

Cyril lowered his eyes,

“If you and Mortimer will have me…”

Cyril spoke with sincerity and a clear constitution. Should he be turned away, he had not yet figured out what he would do… Cyril made his choice, at least books spoke the truth and let one decide what was truth. Which was the most reliable thing, he had.
Galon
Galon
Neonate
Neonate

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:37 am

The Old Edmond yells.
"MORTIMER!"

After a few seconds Morti comes down to the office with a light expression, very relaxed and ready for action. He was wearing a black gymsuit with white stripes and jogging shoes in electric blue with black strips. Very classical exercise clothing.

Mortimer says.
"Good morning Paxton. Edmond?"

Edmond replies with a casual tone.
"Young Paxton will be working with us from now. Put him to be useful in the activities for today.

Paxton, you're late. We gather here at 7:00AM each day to distribute the activities, don't let it happen again. Now hands to it, we will discuss your salary later."

Mortimer pats Paxton's back as he was throwing a hook over his neck to get him along back to the shelves in the main floor. Then he says in his typical British accent
"Welcome to the team boy. I knew that someday you'd come forward and accept this adventure, we've been expecting this moment for a few years now but time is perfect and things have a moment and this is your moment, embrace it.

Now, regarding your job. Each saturday we do Inventory, specially down here books are stolen, lost or otherwise not where they're supposed to be. This are the lists from the computer, item name and number, make sure each book is where it belongs, usually they were changed of section, thrown somewhere, others they're simply not here. Write down a check if all is O.K. and comment your findings otherwise. Roger?"

The work with the Inventory prolongs for the rest of the morning and by lunch Paxton and Mortimer have almost done the check of all items, making the library slick again. Cyrill was tired and hungry but he looked back at Mortimer and Edmond fresh as full of energy, throwing jokes at each other listening to old acid rock songs and signing along having a blast at this.

Edmond ordered some pizza to celebrate Paxton's arrival assuming this would be of the young man preference. The Dominoes' delivery guy arrived right after the were giving the task of the inventory done and it was ready to be eaten after they had washed in the bookstore bathroom at the back of the main floor.

All sitting around the meeting table at Edmond's office Mortimer asked.
"So Paxton tell me, have you ever seen something supernatural? Ghosts? Vampires?" he was dead serious.
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Galon Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am

Paxton’s eyes went wide and it took him a moment for the words to register…  

“Ghosts, Vampire and Supernatural beings?”

Paxton had read about them and cleared the lump from his throat and replied while clearing his throat,

“No…  No sir…”

Paxton examined their faces and they were serious- this was the one time Cyril questioned Mortimer’s sanity.  But these two men were sharp and they were still full of energy and Paxton struggled to keep up.  Paxton looked away and down to the floor, had he seen anything before?

The question was a rather strange one, but Cyril really should not question Mortimer.  He knew that face, it was serious- dead serious.  

Paxton’s hands rubbed the upper part of his thigh and then he felt something; it was in his left pocket and then his head shot up, his eyes wide.  

Paxton quickly reached into his pocket and pulled out a peppermint.  The same kind he used to carry around as a kid.  He carried peppermints often, he always or usually had a handful on him.  Paxton removed his hand holding the peppermint and brought it close to his face, the mint resting in the center of his palm.  
His voice trembled slightly but not with fear, but with uncertainty if this was something he had dreamed.

“We h…. Had a furnace…  I…  It wou..would break down often an….. And…”

Paxton closed his eyes trying to remember something, the peppermint had triggered an old memory.

“Someone, not….  No.. Yes…  Fixed it, I..”

Paxton almost rose up out of the seat as if he had just discovered a brand new cure for a disease, he clenched the peppermint in his hand.

“I was getting wood!!  From the basement, for the fireplace!!  Someone fixed the furnace!!  I… Remember being hungry?  Or..”

Paxton looked down and mumbled,

“I was hungry wasn’t I?”
Galon
Galon
Neonate
Neonate

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Paxton closed his eyes, suddenly the answer was a clear 'YES'. He remembered an old friend, Mr... Mr. Brick was his name. It was confusing, he didn't the fact straight but he did had an strange friend living in his furnace by that name, very strange, like no human kind of strange....

Cyrill was trying with effort to remember the details but the more he tried the blurred they became in his memory. It was almost like he had forgotten parts like Daemos face or general look... he just remembered shard of emotions he felt when he was with Mr. Brick, scared, estranged and captivated at the same time but he was certain he had to hide his presence of mom and dad, they'd not believe him or freak out about it and both possibilities were equally bad.

Peppermints... certainly an item of importance but WHY?
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Galon Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:07 am

“Mr. Brick…..”

The name flowed out effortlessly.  His hungry friend, his secret friend.  Cyril saw a flash of a shadow hunched over by the furnace.  However, he did not remember how Mr. Brick looked nor any of his features.  But Mr. Brick was back and now he thought on his old friend, his secret friend.

“A…… He said he was not an “IT”.  I remember he said firmly, “My name is Mr. Brick…  He.. He had a first name…  I suppose it could have been an old hobo, seeking shelter and hungr…..  HUNGRY.  Mr. Brick was always hungry, I use to leave him peppermints, by… By the boiler.  He kept the boiler working, he helped keep my family warm.  He wa…  Was my secret friend, I’d bring him food, almost got caught a few times..  I…  It’s was a long time ago.  I do not remember what he looked like, I just..  Forgot....”

Cyril spoke with a childlike wonder, having rediscovered his memories of Mr. Brick.  Yet then there was that familiar fear in his voice, or apprehension that he had felt when he first met Mr. Brick.  Cyril tilted his head and looked from Mortimer to Edmund and then back to Mortimer.

“B.. But this could have been anything, maybe a child’s overactive imagination.  I bet I made a lot of sense huh?  I guess I have seen something I could not explain, if that counts.  If I even saw that…”

Cyril chuckled his mouth growing dry, he removed on peppermint and popped it into his mouth.  Behind his halfhearted smile, one knew the thought had shaken him up a bit.
Galon
Galon
Neonate
Neonate

Back to top Go down

Post  Malakiel Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Mortimer repeated.
"Mr. Brick..." he looks at Edmond. There seemed to be a non verbal conversation between the two because it was Edmond who continued Morti's phrase.

"First of all, your report isn't isolated. What you saw may or not be real, we cannot tell because we weren't there and you haven't gave us enough information but there are many reports like yours that have been corroborated." he sentenced.

Mortimer said afterwards.
"Per haps if the boy had access to those reports he could refresh his memory and help us understand."

Edmond considers the idea in silence and then affirms with his head, letting Mortimer to do the honors.
"Come with me Paxton." said the old soldier, standing up from the table and going upstairs.

Once in front of the blue velvet curtain he draws a symbol with his ring finger that was drawn in the orientation the cloth's hairs contrasting with the rest of it, making it visible.

Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9mTfbVaAjG-fd47kNVJXHmBYW-nI5Kg0u3ZwNMJJ7sm9kQcBF

Pulling the curtain aside right after, revealing what used to be empty bookshelves but now were full with antique and valuable relics in ink and paper. The place was crowded with hundreds of books.

Meeting with Edmund Rottinwell (Flashback) C8d1213e6b4b7ec671c5c6655e408bac
Malakiel
Malakiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Galon Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Cyril’s jaw dropped as the shelves, once empty now revealed what they truly contained. Most other people might have fainted or passed out, but not Cyril. He was after all strange and unusual. This was after all a boy who had seen a GOBLIN in real life. Cyril was more astonished, in awe, his breath stopped for a moment. His jaw lowered, these were books with some value. These were not the half assed and watered down books, these were THE books.

Cyril liked that he was not made fun of for telling them about Mr. Brick. It was even stated that maybe his memory could be brought back. Cyril was caught up in a whirlwind and thought to himself,

“How am I going to process all this!”

Cyril knew that his life would never be the same, a new “door” had been opened for him. Perhaps Edmund and Mortimer had been watching him for quite sometime. Perhaps there was more to his life. All else faded away as his eyes drifted over each book. He replied with a blank expression, his mind blown,

“Will you teach… Me? I knew it was true, there was magic in the world…. Just like in my books. Will you?”

Cyril did not look to Mortimer he simply stared in awe.
Galon
Galon
Neonate
Neonate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down